Beet and Turnip Gratin
Kitchen of Confidence - http://www.kitchenkonfidence.com/2014/02/beet-and-turnip-gratin
9 Tbs unsalted butter, divided
4 1/2 lbs mixed beets, turnips, and kohlrabi, peeled and sliced thin crosswise
3/4 cup finely chopped shallots
2 tsp minced garlic
2 tsp chopped fresh thyme
3/4 cup chicken stock
1 Tbs chopped fresh chives
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Grease a 12-inch cast iron skillet with 1 Tbs butter. Working from the outside in, tile the sliced beets and turnips in a rosette pattern (you can just lay them flat if you don't want to fuss with the layering).
- Warm 3 Tbs butter in a small skillet over medium heat. Add shallots and cook until soft, about 4 minutes, stirring frequently. Add garlic and thyme and cook, stirring constantly, for another minute. Remove pan from heat and stir the remaining 5 Tbs butter; once melted and incorporated, season taste wish kosher salt and black pepper.
- Evenly pour the garlic-butter mixture over the prepared beets and turnips. Next pour the chicken stock over everything. Cover the skillet tightly with foil and bake in the oven for 45 minutes. Remove foil and cook until the top of the gratin is just starting to brown and get crispy, about 30 minutes. allow to cool for 30 minutes. Sprinkle with chopped chives and serve.
Braised Broccoli Rabe
Macheesmo - http://www.macheesmo.com/braised-broccoli-rabe
1 bunch broccoli rabe
1 lb round pasta (such as, campanelle or orecchiette)
3-4 cloves garlic
1 tsp red pepper flakes
3 sprigs fresh rosemary
t Tbs olive oil
4 cups vegetable broth
2-3 cups water
1/2 cup walnuts, toasted
salt and pepper
- Chop off the tough stems of the broccoli rabe (about 2-3 inches). Blanch the broccoli rabe in boiled, salted water for about a minute. Drain and run under cool water. Roughly chop.
- In a large pot, add oil, garlic, red pepper flakes, and rosemary. Set over low to medium-low heat for 4-5 minutes until it's very fragrant. Remove rosemary sprigs and add vegetable broth and water. Turn heat up and bring to a boil. Add pasta and broccoli rabe; cover and simmer for about 15 minutes (a few minutes longer than what the direction on the pasta box says).
- Meanwhile, lightly toast walnuts in a dry pan.
- Serve pasta and rabe topped with walnuts.
PF Changs Chicken Lettuce Wraps
Damn Delicious - http://damndelicious.net/2014/05/30/pf-changs-chicken-lettuce-wraps
1 Tbs olive oil
1 lb ground chicken
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 onion, diced
1/4 hoisin sauce
2 Tbs soy sauce
1 Tbs rice wine vinegar
1 Tbs freshly grated ginger
1 tsp Siracha, or more to taste
1 (8-oz) can water chestnuts, drained and diced
2 scallions, thinly sliced
kosher salt and back pepper, to taste
1 head lettuce
- Heat olive oil in a saucepan over medium heat. Add ground chicken and cook until browned, about 3-5 minutes; make sure you crumble the chicken as it cooks. Drain excess fat.
- Stir in garlic onion, hoisin sauce, rice wine vinegar, ginger, and Siracha and cook until onions are translucent; about 1-2 minutes. Stir in chestnuts and scallions; cook 1-2 minutes more. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- To serve, place several spoonfuls of the chicken mixture into the center of a lettuce leaf and eat, taco style.
Detox Carrot Drink
Lauren Kelly Nutrition - http://laurenkellynutrition.com/detox-carrot-drink
1 orange, peeled
1/2 inch tumeric root
1/2 inch ginger root
1 tsp apple cinder vinegar
Place everything in a blender or juice and pulse to desired consistency. Add water or almond milk as necessary.
Shredded Turnip, Apple, and Carrot Salad
My Gourmet Connection - http://www.mygourmetconnection.com/recipes/salads-dressings/shredded-turnip-apple-carrot-salad.php
4 small purple-top turnips, peeled, ends trimmed
2 kohlrabi, peeled
2 carrots, peeled if desired
1 large tart apple, peeled and cored
1 Tbs fresh lemon juice
1 Tbs onion, finely chopped
3 Tbs vegetable oil
1 Tbs apple cider vinegar
1 1/2 tsp sugar
1 Tbs fresh parsley, chopped
salt and pepper to taste
Shred the turnips, carrots, kohlrabi, and apple using the shredding disk of a food processor or the largest holes on a box grater and combine in a mixing bowl). Add the lemon juice and toss to coat. Add onion, oil, vinegar, sugar, and parsley. Mix ell. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Cover and chill for one hour before serving.
Try an Amazing Vegetable Thursday
Bacon Wrapped Caramelized Sesame Asparagus
how sweet it is - http://www.howsweeteats.com/2012/04/bacon-wrapped-caramelized-sesame-asparagus
1 bunch asparagus, stems trimmed
4 slices thick cut bacon
1 1/2 Tbs olive oil
1/2 Tbs toasted sesame oil
1 1/2 Tbs brown sugar
1 garlic clove, minced or pressed
1/2 Tbs toasted sesame seeds
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil and place a wire rack on top. Spray the rack with non-stick spray.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the oils, brown sugar, and garlic. Set aside
- Split the asparagus into 4 bunches. Tightly wrap one slice of bacon around each bundle. Place the bundles seam-side down on the wire rack. Use a pastry brush, spoon, or your hands to brush the asparagus spears thoroughly with the oil/sugar mixture. Sprinkle with sesame seeds. Roast 35-40 minutes or until bacon is crispy. Serve warm.
Creamy Kale Mac and Cheese
White on Rice Couple - http://whiteonricecouple.com/recipes/kale-mac-cheese
16 oz pasta (penne, elbow, or shells), cooked and cooled.
1 bunch kale, stems removed and leaves chopped
1/4 cup unsalted butter
1 medium onion, minced
1/4 cup flour
2 cups whole milk
1 cup chicken broth
8 oz sharp cheddar cheese
1 cup grated Parmesan cheese
1/2 cup mix cheese for topping (optional)
1/4 cup bread crumbs
salt, to taste
black pepper, to taste
- Heat a large pot on medium heat; melt the butter and add the onions. Cook until onions are soft, then add the flour. stir flour quickly to combine with the onion. Add milk and chicken broth.
- Bring to a gentle boil. Reduce heat to low; add cheddar and Parmesan cheese. Continue cooking over low heat, stirring gently, until cheese is melted.
- Add kale and pasta to cheese mixture. Gently stir together until the pasta is heated through and the kale is tender. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Add extra cheese and bread crumbs on top. Serve warm.
French Toast with Maple-Apple Compote
my recipes - http://www.myrecipes.com/recipe/french-toast-with-maple-apple-compote
1 Tbs butter
3 cups sliced and peeled sweet apples
1/4 cup maple syrup
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
Heat a large non-stick skillet over medium-high heat. Melt 1 Tbs butter in pan. Add apples and saute 8 minutes, or until tender. Stir in maple syrup and 1/2 tsp cinnamon. Keep warm.
2 Tbs sugar
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1 cup milk
2 tsp vanilla extract
1/8 tsp salt
4 large eggs, lightly beaten
12 slices challah bread
4 tsp butter
Powdered sugar (optional)
- Combine sugar and 1 tsp cinnamon in a medium bowl. Add milk, vanilla, salt, and eggs; whisk until blended. One slice at a time, place a bread slice into milk mixture, turning gently to coat both sides.
- Heat a large, non-stick skillet over medium-high heat. Melt 1 tsp butter in pan. Add 3 coated bread slices to the pan at a time; cook 2 minutes on each side, or until lightly browned. Repeat with the remaining bread. Keep cooked pieces warm in the oven.
- Serve french toast topped with compote and sprinkled with powdered sugar.
Cinnamon Rhubarb Applesauce
Kitchen Treaty - http://www.kitchentreaty.com/cinnamon-rhubarb-applesauce
6 apples, peeled, cored, and chopped into 1-inch chunks
4 cups chopped rhubarb
4 3-inch cinnamon sticks
1/2 cup granulated sugar, plus more to taste
2 cups water
1-2 tsp ground cinnamon (optional)
Add apples, rhubarb, cinnamon sticks, 1/2 cup sugar, and 2 cups water to a large pot set over medium heat and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer, partially covered, for 30-40 minutes. Remove cinnamon sticks. Taste and add additional sugar or cinnamon if desired. Keeps refrigerated in an airtight container for 4 days.
Bok Choy with Ground Chicken Stir Fry
Steamy Kitchen - http://steamykitchen.com/26949-baby-bok-choy-with-ground-chicken-stir-fry-recipe-video.html
2 tsp cooking oil
1/2 lb ground chicken (or ground meat of your choice)
1 green onion, chopped
2 tsp grated fresh ginger
2 cloves garlic,finely minced
1 lb bok choy, cut in half lengthwise
1 Tbs water
2 tsp soy sauce
1 tsp sesame oil
Add cooking oil to a wok or large saute pan over high heat. Add ground chicken and saute until browned (but not fully cooked). Reduce heat to medium-high and add green onion, ginger, and garlic; stir for 30 seconds. Add bok choy and water; toss well to coat. Cover wok and cook for 2 minutes, or until the bok choy is crisp-tender. Add soy sauce and sesame oil and toss well; cook 30 seconds. The bok choy stems should be just-tender but not too soft. Serve immediately.
Spicy Carrot and Asparagus Stir Fry
The Washington Post - http://www.washingtonpost.com/pb/recipes/spicy-carrot-and-asparagus-stir-fry/13411
1/2 lb asparagus (woody ends trimmed off)
6 oz carrots, scrubbed well
1 Tbs canola or peanut oil
1 1/2 garlic cloves, chopped
1/2 small onion, chopped
1/4 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
1/4 cup finely chopped fresh mint leaves
- Cut the asparagus cross-wise into 1-inch pieces, reserving the tips. Cut the carrots cross-wise into 1/2-inch coins.
- Heat the oil in a wok or large skillet over high heat. Add the carrots, garlic, and onion; stir until the carrots start to brown, about 4-5 minutes.
- Add the asparagus pieces, crushed red pepper flakes (to taste), and a splash of water; stir-fry until the asparagus is barely tender, about 2 minutes. Add the reserved asparagus tips and a splash of water; stir-fry for another minute or two; until the tips are barely tender. Season with salt to taste. remove from heat and stir in the mint. Serve hot.
French Radish Sandwich
Love Radish - http://www.loveradish.co.uk/recipes/detail.asp?ItemID=361#.VUesxPlViko
2 slices multi-grain bread
3-4 radishes, sliced
1 Tbs Boursin cheese
handful of lettuce
Spread one slice of bread with Boursin, lay the radish slices on top, then the lettuce, then he second piece of bread.
Mushroom Grilled Cheese
closet cooking - http://www.closetcooking.com/2011/12/mushroom-grilled-cheese-sandwich-aka.html
1 Tbs butter
1 Tbs olive oil
1 small onion, sliced
8 oz crimini mushrooms, sliced
2 garlic cloves, chopped
1/4 cup white wine or broth
salt and pepper to taste
1 Tbs parsley, chopped
1/2 tsp truffle oil (optional)
1 cup fontina or gruyere (optional)
1/4 cup parmigiano-reggiano, grated
4 slices bread
2 Tbs butter
- Melt the butter and heat the oil in a pan over medium heat. Add the onion and saute until tender, about 5-7 minutes.
- Add the garlic and thyme and saute until fragrant, about a minute.
- Add the crimini mushrooms and saute until the start to caramelized and turn golden brown, about 10-15 minutes.
- Add the wine, deglaze the pan and cook until most of the liquid has evaporated, about 2-3 minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper, add the parsley and remove from heat and let cool a bit.
- Mix the cheese into the mushrooms.
- Butter one side of each slice of bread and place 2 in the pan buttered side down.
- Top each with 1/2 of the mushroom mixture and finally the remaining slices of bread with the buttered side up.
- Grill until the cheese has melted and the bread is golden brown, about 2-4 minutes per side.