Caramel Apple Trifles
Small/Large Veggie Share Recipes:
Watercress & Broccoli Salad
Swiss Chard and Onion Tacos
Bacon Wrapper Roasted Fingerling Potatoes
Large Veggie Share Recipes:
Roast Chicken with Smothered Cabbage, Bacon, and Potatoes
Savoy Cabbage Gratin
Caramel Apple Trifles
Life, Love, and Sugar - http://www.lifeloveandsugar.com/2014/09/19/caramel-apple-trifles
½ cup sugar
3 tbsp salted butter, cubed, room temperature
¼ cup heavy cream, room temperature
3 apples, diced
2 tsp lemon juice
1/8 tsp nutmeg
2 tsp cinnamon
6 tbsp brown sugar
1 tbsp butter
Cinnamon Whipped Cream
1 cups whipping cream
½ cup powdered sugar
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1 cup Cinnamon Granola
- To make the caramel, add the sugar in an even layer to the bottom of a medium saucepan.
- Heat sugar on medium-high and whisk until the sugar has melted, about 5 minutes. The sugar will lump together, but eventually melt.
- Continue whisking until the temperature reaches 350 degrees or the sugar has turned an amber color. It will reach 350 degrees very quickly after all the sugar has melted. Watch it very closely. It goes from nice caramel to burned very quickly.
- Remove caramel from heat and add butter. Whisk until melted and combined. Mixture might bubble a bit.
- Add the heavy cream and whisk until incorporated.
- Cool caramel to room temperature.
- Or, if you fail at caramel making like me, store-bought caramel sauce is perfectly acceptable.
- To make the apples, combine apples, lemon juice, nutmeg, cinnamon and brown sugar in a medium pan and toss to coat.
- Add butter and cook apples for about 15-20 minutes, or until at preferred softness.
- Allow to cool for 15-20 minutes.
- To make cinnamon whipped cream, freeze a metal bowl and whisk attachment for 10-15 minutes. Remove bowl from freezer, add heavy whipping cream, and whip on high speed until it begins to thicken. Add powdered sugar and cinnamon and whip until it you get stiff peaks.
- Once everything is made a ready, build the trifles.
- Pipe an even layer of whipped cream into the bottom of the cup or jar you are using.
- Add about 2 tbsp granola in an even layer.
- Drizzle caramel over granola.
- Spoon apples over caramel.
- Repeat layers 14-17, then drizzle more caramel over the tops of each trifle.
- Store in the fridge for 2-3 hours, or until ready to serve.
The Woodwife's Journal - http://www.woodwifesjournal.com/2010/10/apple-chili.html
1 pound of ground beef (substitute chicken, turkey, or tofu)
1 medium candy onion, chopped
2 medium apples, chopped
1 can black beans
1 can light red kidney beans
1 can dark kidney beans
1 can chili beans
2 cans crushed tomatoes
Season with chili powder, cumin, red pepper flakes, sea salt, and pepper to taste.
In a large cast iron skillet, brown meat. Remove meat, and in the same pan, sauté the candy onion, green pepper and apples. Return meat to pan, and add the beans.
Watercress and Broccoli Salad
4 cups broccoli florets (from about 1 ½ pounds broccoli)
¼ cup red wine vinegar
¼ cup honey
1 garlic clove, minced
3/4 cup thinly sliced red onion
6 tablespoons dried sweetened cranberries (optional)
2 bunches watercress, thick stems trimmed (about 5 cups)
- Steam broccoli until crisp-tender, about 4 minutes. Rinse under cold water; drain.
- Whisk vinegar, honey, and garlic in large bowl to blend. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Add red onion and cranberries to dressing. Let stand until onion softens slightly, about 30 minutes.
- Add broccoli and watercress to onion mixture and toss to coat. Sprinkle with pepper. Divide salad among plates.
Swiss Chard & Onion Tacos
Shared Appetite - http://sharedappetite.com/recipes/swiss-chard-and-onion-tacos/
1 and ½ tablespoons vegetable oil or olive oil
1 large onion, sliced
3 garlic cloves, minced
Pinch red pepper flakes
½ cup vegetable broth, chicken broth, or water
Freshly ground black pepper
Queso Fresco, crumbled
Roasted Tomatillo Salsa
- Remove thick stems from Swiss chard and tear into bite-size pieces.
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the sliced onion and cook until golden brown but still has some crunch to it, about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add garlic, red pepper flakes, and a big pinch of Kosher salt, and cook for 1 minute, stirring frequently.
- Add broth or water and the Swiss chard. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover the pan (if you don't have a lid, you can just use a baking sheet), and cook for approximately 5 minutes. Uncover the skillet, raise the heat back to medium-high, and cook until the water/broth is evaporated, stirring occasionally. Taste and season with additional Kosher salt if needed.
- Warm corn tortillas by wrapping in a slightly damp kitchen towel and microwaving on half power. Top warm corn tortillas with a bit of the Swiss chard and onion mixture, a dollop of the roasted tomatillo salsa, and sprinkle with queso fresco.
Bacon-Wrapped Roasted Fingerling Potatoes
never enough thyme - http://www.lanascooking.com/bacon-wrapped-roasted-fingerling-potatoes
6 slices bacon
1/3 c. sour cream
1 tblsp. half-and-half or cream
1 tblsp. finely chopped chives
½ tsp. prepared horseradish
Dash of salt and pepper
- Wash and dry the potatoes.
- Arrange the potatoes on a microwave safe plate.
- Microwave on high for 5 minutes or until the potatoes just begin to yield slightly when pressed.
- Remove from the microwave and allow to cool for a few minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- Cut bacon slices in half crosswise.
- Wrap each potato with half a slice of bacon.
- Place wrapped potatoes with the bacon seam side down on a parchment paper lined baking sheet.
- Sprinkle lightly with salt and pepper.
- Place in the preheated oven and cook for 15-20 minutes or until the bacon is cooked through.
- Remove from oven and cool.
- Make the dipping sauce: Combine all ingredients in a small bowl. Mix well. Serve with roasted potatoes.
Epicurious - http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/roast-chicken-with-smothered-cabbage-bacon-and-potatoes?mbid=nl_002_03142016_Daily&CNDID=35824472
3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
1/3 cup finely chopped chives
1/3 cup coarsely chopped parsley leaves and tender stems, plus whole leaves for serving
3 tablespoons unsalted butter, room temperature
1 (4–4 1/2-pound) whole chicken, excess fat trimmed
2 teaspoons kosher salt, divided
¾ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, divided
1 ½ pounds small potatoes, cut lengthwise into 1/2-inch wedges
½ pound smoked bacon (preferably center-cut), cut crosswise into 1-inch pieces
1 ½ teaspoons caraway seeds
3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
1 (1 1/2-pound) head savoy cabbage, halved, cored, cut crosswise into 1-inch-thick strips
Kitchen twine; a medium roasting pan (approximately 16x14x3")
- Arrange rack in middle of oven; preheat to 425ºF. Finely zest lemon into a medium bowl. Cut zested lemon in half lengthwise; set one half aside and reserve the other for another use. Add garlic, chives, parsley, and butter and mash together with a fork.
- Pat inside and outside of chicken dry. From edge of cavity, loosen skin from breasts and thighs. Push butter mixture under skin, then gently rub outside of skin to evenly distribute over breasts and legs. Tie together legs with twine. Season chicken with 1 ½ tsp. salt and ½ tsp. pepper.
- Heat roasting pan in oven 10 minutes. Meanwhile, toss potatoes, bacon, caraway seeds, 1/4 tsp. salt, 1/8 tsp. pepper, and 1 Tbsp. plus 1 tsp. oil in a large bowl. Toss cabbage and remaining ¼ tsp. salt, 1/8 tsp. pepper, and 1 Tbsp. plus 2 tsp. oil in another large bowl.
- Remove pan from oven; quickly combine and arrange potato mixture, cabbage mixture, and remaining oil left in bowls in pan, spreading toward edges to make room for chicken. Place chicken, breast side up, on top; it’s okay if chicken sits on some vegetables. Carefully return pan to oven and roast 25 minutes (some cabbage edges will be blackened).
- Remove pan from oven; squeeze reserved lemon half over chicken and vegetables. Gently stir vegetables to coat with pan drippings. Reduce oven temperature to 400ºF and continue roasting until chicken juices run clear when thigh is pierced with a fork and an instant-read thermometer inserted into the thickest part of the thigh registers 165°F, 40–50 minutes more.
- Transfer chicken to a cutting board; let rest 15 minutes. Carve, serve with vegetable mixture, and top with parsley leaves.
Savoy Cabbage Gratin
My Recipes - http://www.myrecipes.com/recipe/savoy-cabbage-gratin
1 small head savoy cabbage (about 1 ½ lbs.), cored and cut into 8 wedges
About ¾ tsp. kosher salt
About ½ tsp. pepper
1 garlic clove, chopped
1 ½ teaspoons chopped fresh thyme leaves, plus thyme sprigs
¼ teaspoon nutmeg
1 tablespoon flour
1 cup heavy whipping cream
3/4 cup shredded aged gouda cheese
½ cup fresh bread crumbs
- Butter a shallow 2-qt. baking dish (about 8 by 11 in.) and preheat oven to 400°.
- Melt 2 tbsp. butter in a sauté pan* or large frying pan over medium-high heat and add cabbage wedges cut side down. Sprinkle with 3/4 tsp. salt and 1/2 tsp. pepper; cook, turning once, until lightly browned, 5 to 7 minutes.
- Add 1/4 cup water to pan. Partially cover and cook cabbage until it's just tender, 3 to 5 minutes more.
- Transfer cabbage and any stray leaves to prepared dish, arranging wedges so they lie flat (they should fit snugly).
- Return pan to medium heat and melt remaining 2 tbsp. butter. Add garlic, chopped thyme, nutmeg, and flour. Stir until thoroughly combined, add cream, and cook, stirring, just until thickened and bubbling, about 2 minutes.
- Pour cream mixture over cabbage. Top with cheese and bread crumbs. Bake until browned and bubbling, about 20 minutes. Garnish with thyme sprigs and season to taste with more salt and pepper.
Runnin Srilankan - http://runninsrilankan.com/2014/09/17/beet-bars
1½ cup Beet Puree:
½ cup almond milk
4 eggs at room temperature
½ cup coconut oil -melted
1 teaspoon vanilla
½ teaspoon salt
½ cup raw cane sugar
½ cup melted white chocolate
2 teaspoons baking powder
2 tablespoons flax meal
1 cup rice flour
½ cup white chocolate chips
½ cup peanut butter chips (or butterscotch)
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees
- Make the beet puree by blending the beets and the almond milk
- To this, add the eggs and using a whisk, mix the eggs till well incorporated
- Add the coconut oil and mix well
- Add the melted white chocolate and whisk till well blended
- Then add the cane sugar, vanilla, baking powder, flax, salt and rice flour.
- Sprinkle the white chocolate chips and peanut butter chips/butterscotch on top
- Bake at 375 for 28-30 minutes
- Let cool completely and then divide into pieces.