2/3 cup sugar
1/2 cup sweet potato puree (see "recipe" below)
2 tsp vanilla extract
1 1/4 cup whole wheat flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 cup turbinado sugar
99 mini marshmallows
4 oz bittersweet chocolate, melted
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Line two large baking sheets with parchment.
- Beat butter and sugar with an electric mixer on medium-low until lightly creamed, but not fluffy, about 30 seconds to 1 minute. Add sweet potato and beat until combined. Beat in vanilla extract.
- Whisk flour, baking powder and salt in a medium bowl. While mixer is running on low speed. Gradually add in flour mixture. Mix until it just comes together as a dough. Do not overmix. If dough is tacky, refrigerate until completely cold, 2 to 3 hours.
- Place turbinado sugar in a baking dish. Roll dough into 33 balls, about 2 rounded teaspoons of dough each. Roll each ball in the turbinado sugar and place on the parchment. Press the center of each ball down with a clean thumb or finger to create an indentation for a marshmallows. Fill all the cookies with three marshmallows each, pressing down to make sure marshmallows stay in place.
- Bake until the cookies are set-up and the marshmallows are puffed and browned, 9 to 11 minutes. Cool completely before drizzling the cookies with chocolate.
- Bring several inches of water to a boil in a large saucepan fitted with a steamer basket. Add 1 medium peeled and cubed sweet potato to steamer basket, cover and cook until tender when pierced with a knife 12 to 18 minutes, depending on size of chunks. Cool completely. Transfer to a food processor and puree until smooth, scraping down the sides as necessary.